Over the last 30 years or so, single-ply commercial roofing membranes have grown steadily in popularity. At Jaco Roofing, our industrial Duro-Last roofing uses a single-ply membrane format, and it’s one of the most durable and long-lasting products on the market.
There are several major advantages which single-ply roofing membranes can add to your next project. They’re flexible and easy to install, plus carry a substantial amount of other individual benefits. Let’s look at the basic components of single-ply, and how it can benefit you.
Components of Single-Ply
Most single-ply systems include three or four basic components:
- Insulation: To keep hot or cold air in or out
- Flashings: To protect edges from water issues
- Single-ply Membrane: Usually rubber or plastic, with acrylic reflective coating
- Adhesive: To seal layers together permanently
Once it’s installed as your commercial roofing product, single-ply membranes have several advantages. These include:
- Impact resistant
- Lightweight and flexible
- Extremely easy to install
- Can accommodate many unconventional roof designs due to flexibility
- Eliminates dangers of fire and smoke pollution, which can be risks of certain other types of commercial roofing
- Better for use on occupied buildings
- Perfect for roofs which are exposed to larger amounts of grease and oil, due to great sealing and cleaning ability
- Resistant to UV radiation, plus ozone present in the atmosphere
- Requires very minimal maintenance, often years consecutively without any
One benefit is so great that it gets its own section: cost benefit. Not only does the flexibility and ease of installation make this process cheaper than installing many other kinds of roofing products, a single-ply membrane offers major heating and cooling benefits. The reflective surface helps it retain temperature much more easily – tests show that the temperature of a white roof rises only four degrees on an 85-degree day, where it might rise as much as 40 degrees on more traditional types. This can bring you an exorbitant amount of heating and cooling savings.
Jaco Roofing is your go-to commercial roofing company in the Texas area since 1968. To learn more about our single-ply membranes or any of our other roofing services, speak to one of our experts today.