Over the last 30 years or so, single-ply commercial roofing membranes have grown steadily in popularity. At Jaco Roofing & Construction, Inc., our industrial Duro-Last roofing uses a single-ply membrane format, and it’s one of the most durable and long-lasting products on the market.
There are several major advantages which single-ply roofing membranes can add to your next project. They’re flexible and easy to install, plus carry a substantial amount of other individual benefits. Let’s look at the basic components of single-ply, and how it can benefit you.
Components of Single-Ply
Most single-ply systems include three or four basic components:
- Insulation: To keep hot or cold air in or out
- Flashings: To protect edges from water issues
- Single-ply Membrane: Usually rubber or plastic, with acrylic reflective coating
- Adhesive: To seal layers together permanently
Once it’s installed as your commercial roofing product, single-ply membranes have several advantages. These include:
- Impact resistant
- Lightweight and flexible
- Extremely easy to install
- Can accommodate many unconventional roof designs due to flexibility
- Eliminates dangers of fire and smoke pollution, which can be risks of certain other types of commercial roofing
- Better for use on occupied buildings
- Perfect for roofs which are exposed to larger amounts of grease and oil, due to great sealing and cleaning ability
- Resistant to UV radiation, plus ozone present in the atmosphere
- Requires very minimal maintenance, often years consecutively without any
One benefit is so great that it gets its own section: cost benefit. Not only does the flexibility and ease of installation make this process cheaper than installing many other kinds of roofing products, a single-ply membrane offers major heating and cooling benefits. The reflective surface helps it retain temperature much more easily – tests show that the temperature of a white roof rises only four degrees on an 85-degree day, where it might rise as much as 40 degrees on more traditional types. This can bring you an exorbitant amount of heating and cooling savings.
Jaco Roofing & Construction, Inc. is your go-to commercial roofing company in the Texas area since 1968. To learn more about our single-ply membranes or any of our other roofing services, speak to one of our experts today.