Texas has one of the highest rates of lightning strikes in the country, making it an important consideration for commercial roofing. At Jaco Roofing, our high-quality products are especially durable, and they are easily combined with a lightning protection system.
How can your business benefit from a lightning protection system for your commercial roof? What are some of the guidelines during lightning storms? What are some of the common myths out there about these systems? Let’s take a look.
How It Works
Lightning protection systems are a modern version of the lightning rod developed by Benjamin Franklin. They consist of rods/air terminals – protrusions designed to act as the conductor for a discharge of lightning –, conductor cables, and ground rods buried deep in the ground.
Unlike the early days of Benjamin Franklin, today we don’t need to stand outside during a lightning storm to protect our industrial roof. Nowadays, when lightning strikes our building, it’s directed to the rods. The air terminals transfer the current to the conductor cables and then it makes its way to the ground rods. The ground rods are buried deep enough to create a safe path for lightning to discharge within the earth, rather than your building’s roof.
Guidelines During Storms
There are a few precautions to take during a lightning storm, even if you have a lighting protection system on your commercial roof:
- Don’t use the phone or other electrical equipment attached to electrical wings of the building
- Don’t use sinks or other water-related plumbing objects
- 30-30 Rule – If lightning is seen, count the seconds before you hear the corresponding thunder. If the number is under 30 seconds, you need to stay indoors in a safe area.
There are a few common misconceptions surrounding lightning protection systems, the truth is:
- These systems do not attract lightning
- Protection systems do not prevent lightning
- They typically do not offer surge protection
- Most of them offer fire and structural protection by preventing lightning from passing through building materials
To learn more about lightning protection, or any of our industrial roof solutions, call (800) 265-5226 to speak to the commercial roofing experts at Jaco Roofing today!